Table of Contents
Whether it’s an eyeliner pencil, gel eyeliner, or liquid liner, there’s no denying the classic beauty we can achieve with a simple swipe or two. But one of our worst nightmares is coming home at the end of the day and finding a smudged, flaky mess left on our face – well, that’s where waterproof eyeliner comes in to save the day.
The best waterproof eyeliners are there when we need them most, providing smudge-proof formulas that are designed to last from day to night. And when worn with one of the best waterproof mascaras on the market, your look really isn’t going anywhere (yes, that means you can dance all night, break a sweat, and do it all again without ever having to worry about runny liner).
After taking the time to perfect that gorgeous cat-eye, no one wants it sliding off mid-day. Plus, the good news is that waterproof eyeliner is nowhere near as difficult to remove as you might have thought – just a good oil-based cleanser or balm does the trick, and that’s something you can easily work into your nightly routine.
We’ve collected the 10 best waterproof eyeliners out there today, so you can officially wave goodbye to sweaty, smudgy liner disasters for good.
10 Recommended Waterproof Eyeliners to Buy in Canada
- 1. NYX Professional Makeup Epic Ink Waterproof Liner
- 2. Estee Lauder Double Wear Infinite Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner
- 3. Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Waterproof Eyeliner
- 4. Revlon ColorStay Waterproof Pencil Eyeliner
- 5. e.l.f H2O Proof Waterproof Eyeliner
- 6. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof Eyeliner
- 7. Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner
- 8. Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner
- 9. L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Precision Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner
- 10. Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof Eyeliner
What is the Best Waterproof Eyeliner in Canada?
If we’re talking about cult-classics, then the NYX Epic Ink Waterproof Liner comes in on top because of its sheer ease-of-use and overall quality. This is easily top ranking on so many levels, from its effortless application with the precise felt tip, long-lasting formula, and deep color. Since the tip is so precise, this is also a great choice for beginners who need that extra hand in getting a smooth, precise wing.
- How to remove waterproof eyeliner? – guide for this year
Estee Lauder Infinite Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner comes in a close second as the best high-end, just keep in mind it is a pencil unlike the liquid form of the NYX Epic Ink. Despite being a pencil, it’s got one of the most precise tips we’ve seen, and we love that you can customize the thickness using the built-in sharpener. The rich kohl black is also something to note, as it’s seamless to build without using too much product.
- how to remove waterproof mascara safely: our top tips
A comparable liquid liner to NYX’s Epic Ink we have to mention is the H2O Proof Eyeliner Pen from e.l.f. We found that it doesn’t have quite as much staying power as Epic Ink, but it’s also inexpensive and still more than ideal for beginners who need something basic to start.
Keep reading for more detailed info on these eyeliners, as well as the rest of our top picks.
Top 10 Waterproof Eyeliner Reviews in Canada
1. NYX Professional Makeup Epic Ink Waterproof Liner
Tip Type: Felt Brush| Shades: Black, Navy, Black/Brown | Form: Liquid
With over 40,000 rave reviews, the NYX Epic Ink Waterproof Liner is a certified beast in the eyeliner game, a title achieved thanks to its dreamy felt brush tip. It helps give one of the smoothest applications we’ve seen, gliding on with ease, giving you full control. One of our favorite things about this liner though is its versatility. You can create super fine lines with an beautiful flick at the end, as well as more dramatic liner looks, like double lines, thicker shapes, and so on.
With that felt tip, it’s also great for drawing more intricate designs, as it won’t bleed or run, and you can get real precise with your lines. Pigmentation is also a winning point here, because it’s a pitch-black color. You can’t see your skin peeking through, even if you put a bright eyeshadow underneath, you won’t see any of that shadow color come through. Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a liner aficionado, you can’t go wrong with this liner since it’s so straightforward and user-friendly.
- Long-lasting waterproof formula
- Fine felt brush tip offers super smooth application
- Suitable for both fine and thick liner styles
2. Estee Lauder Double Wear Infinite Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner
Best Overall High-End
Tip Type: Pencil| Shades: Black | Form: Pencil
In the high-end world, Estee Lauder’s Infinite Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner caught our eyes (pun intended) with its intense color pay off, creamy application, and useful design. It’s part of their Double Wear line, which is created to last longer, and in this case it offers 24-hour wear. Now, while the NYX Epic Ink Waterproof Liner has staying power, we did find that Estee Lauder’s Infinite Waterproof Kohl liner lasts even longer thanks to its strong 24-hour formula.
It is a pencil though, not a liquid pen. As you apply, there is no tugging as it glides on nicely, so you can achieve an opaque, thick application on the first go. We love that it comes with its own smudge tip and sharpener, giving you the freedom to sharpen on-the-go so you can use it anywhere. We think having a smudge tip is so important for pencil liners, as it gives you the option to create a whole new look with just one product. You can smudge the entire liner over your lid for a super sultry, smoky look, or smudge your cat-eye for a more rugged feel.
- Long 24-hour wear
- Comes with smudge tip & sharpener for on-the-go looks
- Creamy application & versatile pencil tip
3. Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Waterproof Eyeliner
Best Drugstore Gel
Tip Type: Brush Included| Shades: Black, Brown, Charcoal | Form: Gel
Where the Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Waterproof liner impressed us the most was with its intense pigmentation, and ability get solid color with zero effort – as in there is no need to layer since it’s just so pigmented. We’ve come across plenty of other gel liners that make it difficult to get a clean, opaque color on the first swipe, making layering the only option, ending up with a thick, globby mess. That’s why we love this gel liner for its formula, as it also didn’t smudge and lasted all day.
The brush design also doesn’t disappoint. It’s flat with a thin tip, letting you achieve crisp lines and different shapes. If you’re someone who also loves experimenting with designs and patterns with your liner, this is a great choice as you get more control with its extra velvety formula. Holding it was also comfortable and easy to maneuver, as it has a thicker body in the center for better grip. We found you get more control with this liner than the NYX Epic Ink Waterproof Liner, but it’s not as convenient since you have two elements (brush and gel pot) rather than a single liner pen.
- Concentrated pigments offer deep & opaque color with one swipe
- Smart brush design with thin, flat tip & comfortable body
- 24-hour wear with smudge-proof properties
4. Revlon ColorStay Waterproof Pencil Eyeliner
Best Drugstore Pencil Eyeliner
Tip Type: Pencil| Shades: Black, Brown, Charcoal, Jade, Sapphire, Teal & More | Form: Pencil
If your budget isn’t in the range for Estee Lauder’s Infinite Waterproof Kohl liner, then the Revlon ColorStay Waterproof Pencil is a wonderful dupe with its equally silky formula and seamless application. It also comes with a smudge tip – great for smoking out your look – and also a built-in sharpener like Estee Lauder’s version. The sharpener is positioned in the same place for both, right underneath the smudge tip, so it’s quick and simple to use when you’re out and about. Revlon’s pencil liner comes with a 24-hour claim, which we can attest to.
This thing lasts, and it doesn’t smudge, nor crease, even with oily lids. At the pencil tip, you’ll find a thinner end that allows a finer application so you can still create that classic flick on your cat-eyes. Our tip: make sure you keep it sharpened, otherwise you could lose that fine tip. Much like stila Smudge Stick Waterproof pencil eyeliner and Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On pencil, Revlon’s ColorStay comes in a wide range of colors aside from classic black.
- Silky formula prevents skipping or tugging
- Finer pencil tip allows more control & thin lines
- Built-in sharpener & smudge tip
5. e.l.f H2O Proof Waterproof Eyeliner
Best Easy Application
Tip Type: Felt Brush| Shades: Black | Form: Liquid
With a rich color pay off to boot, the e.l.f H2O Proof Waterproof Eyeliner comes in on our list as easiest application. This is because it’s designed with a slightly longer felt tip brush than the NYX Epic Ink Waterproof Liner, which is also a breeze to apply, but the longer tip provides a faster, more streamlined application as you can achieve more coverage at one time. Since it’s so thin and long, it can also reach extra close to the lash line, so you’re not left with an awkward gap that takes ages to fill in and perfect.
Another unique feature we love about this liner is that it’s enriched with Vitamin E. So that means not only is it smudge-proof, bleed-proof and long wearing, but it’s also moisturizing and won’t dry out your lids. And if you’re an oily-skinned gal, not to worry, this Vitamin-E addition doesn’t make anything more greasy – it acts just like any regular long-wearing liner.
- Over 200 bristles for an even coat & to prevent clumping
- Curved-shape brush hugs your lashes & enhances the curl
- Waterproof formula lasts during day & night wear
6. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof Eyeliner
Tip Type: Pencil| Shades: 29 | Form: Pencil
You’ll probably find Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof liner in every beauty addict’s makeup kit, as its super creamy formula and massive shade range make it a cult favorite. But what it’s best known for is definitely its wear-time, which is a heck of a long time. Although it’s never a good idea to wear any makeup product for over 24 hours, we can bet this liner will last well past that. It does not budge, crack or run, and it even lasts on oily lids. And if you have dry lids, you don’t have to worry about dragging or skipping since this stuff glides on like a literal dream.
The tip is like a regular pencil unlike Revlon’s ColorStay pencil liner which has a finer tip, but we found it easy to sharpen nonetheless. You also can’t achieve the same ultra-thin line as the liquid liners like NYX Epic Ink and e.l.f H2O pen, but creating a beautiful cat-eye is still doable if you tilt the pencil slightly and use the edge of the tip. Another thing we love about this liner is its infusion of ingredients like Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil and Cottonseed Oil – these help hydrate, which lets you wear it for longer without damaging the delicate skin on your lids.
- Infused with hydrating Vitamin E, Jojoba & Cottonseed Oil
- Extremely long wear-time with vibrant pigmentation
- Sharpenable pencil tip
7. Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner
Tip Type: Pencil| Shades: Black, Brown, Blue, Nude, Sparkling Black | Form: Gel Pencil
This eyeliner is pretty much a drugstore dupe for Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On, with high-intensity color and a smooth, satisfying formula. You don’t get as many shade range choices as Urban Decay’s, but you do get a choice from four neutral shades and one deep blue color (a gorgeous shade to bring out brown or hazel eyes).
Unlike some other regular pencil liners, this is a gel pencil liner, meaning it’s creamier and even easier to apply. We suggest taking your time when applying, so you don’t slip and slide around, but since it’s so soft you don’t need to layer much, if at all.
With a lengthy staying power of up to 24 hours, it doesn’t smudge – unless you want it to of course with your own smudge tip. That’s something we actually loved about this liner, as its creaminess made it a breeze to smudge all over the lid or undereye for a smoky look. The great thing is that it doesn’t budge even when smudged, and you don’t lose intensity throughout the day.
- Long 24-hour wear with soft gel formula
- Easy to smudge & safe for your waterline
- Highly intense color pay-off
8. Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner
Best Beginners Pencil
Tip Type: Pencil| Shades: 13 | Form: Twist Pencil
For anyone who’s a pencil liner rookie, this stila Smudge Stick Waterproof liner is user-friendly, cushiony to apply, and pigmented as ever. Let’s start with its ease-of-use, which is unlike any other pencil on our list – this liner has a twist-push design, which means you don’t need a sharpener.
Just a simple twist and more of the pencil emerges, eliminating the need to sharpen the perfect amount to get the right sharpness. That makes it heavenly to work with, even if you’re not a beginner and just love the simplicity of forgoing a sharpener.
The tip is quite thin, so you can wing out your liner if needed, but you’re not going to get as defined of a line than liquids or gels. It’s for that reason we love Smudge Stick for smoky looks, as it’s effortless to smudge. Once doing so though, you’ve only got about 30 seconds so before it’s locked in, and then it won’t fade or smudge further. You don’t even need a smudge tip – just use your fingers.
- Easy-to-smudge formula to locks in for all-day wear
- Twist pencil design eliminates need for sharpener
9. L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Precision Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner
Best Intense Color Pay-Off
Tip Type: Felt | Shades: Black | Form: Liquid
L’Oréal’s Telescopic Precision Liquid Waterproof liner is the one to go for if you love a heavy, inky look. The formula is ultra-deep black and has a slightly glossy finish to it, so it definitely makes a statement on your eyes. What makes it different from regular liquid pens is its separated pot-and-brush design, where you have to dip the felt tip into the base. This might not be as convenient as say e.l.f’s H2O or NYX Epic Ink liquid liner, but it does mean you have more control over how much or little product you want on the tip.
The tip also has a different shape than most liquid liners – it has a slanted tip that lets you draw a quick, defined line with no effort. This makes it one of our favorite picks for those who wear a wing as part of a staple in their everyday makeup look. With the waterproof formula it doesn’t transfer, crease or smudge after it dries down. Whether you go for bold looks or a thin, simple wing, this liner gives you the freedom to create whatever you want.
- Angled felt tip allows easier application in one swipe
- Heavy pigmentation gives you freedom to create dramatic looks
- Design lets you control how much product is on the tip
10. Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof Eyeliner
Best Precise Application
Tip Type: Brush| Shades: Black, Dark Brown | Form: Liquid
The Ultra Liner from Maybelline offers a strong waterproof formula that we found lasts over 12 hours without cracking or smudging. It’s not as long as some others on our list, but it delivered in other areas like ease of application and pigmentation. The brush tip is unique and unlike any others on our list.
It’s a little shorter than L’Oréal’s Telescopic Precision Liquid Waterproof liner, and is a brush, not felt. While Telescopic Precision is seamless to apply, Ultra Liner from Maybelline lets you achieve an even more precise line since the brush is so thin and small, giving you a more controlled application.
You can hug the lash line and create a beautiful flick at the end of your wing, all with great color pay-off too. It’s not a matte finish liner, so it dries down with a glossy sheen – an effect we like when wearing a wing without eyeshadow, making it the focus of the look.
- Small, fine brush tip allows controlled application
- 12+ hour wear with smudge-proof & crack-proof formula
How to Choose a Waterproof Eyeliner
There are certain things to look out for before making your choice on a liner, from the price to even the shape of the brush tip. Some people prefer to apply their liner in a particular way, and not everyone is going to suit the same type of liner.
Are you a liquid or pencil person? The absolute first thing you should consider is what kind of liner tip you prefer (or maybe you love using both) and it’s important to try out each option to properly find out what works best for you.
- Pencil tips leave a little more room for error, as you can smudge and play around with them a bit before they fully dry down with that waterproof formula. Some designs have a smaller tip on the end, which lets you achieve more defined lines, but you’ll never get as precise as with liquid felt or brush tips. That being said, you can clean things up with a makeup remover wipe to get a sharper line.
- Felt brush tips are usually in liquid liner pens and are crazy convenient to use. They don’t require anything else other than popping off the cap and going to town on those wings, as all the product is already being transferred into the tip. Felt brush tips are usually very thin and easy to work with to get fine lines and details – they’re the best to get a seamless flick at the end of your wing.
- Brush tips are basically cousins to the felt brush, but they aren’t always as smooth. We suggest avoiding these if you’re a beginner as they can take some getting used to, but you can definitely achieve some beautiful, thin lines once you get the hang of it. These are typically seen in gel pot liners, or sometimes in liquid liners as well.
There are three main formulas: liquid, pencil, and gel. Each one comes in a waterproof formula just like regular liners.
- Liquid eyeliners are one of the most popular as they’re the easiest and quickest to achieve that perfect wing. Practice makes perfect with liquid, as it can be a little tricky to get used to on your first go. A good liquid liner won’t bleed when you apply, and with the help of a felt brush or normal brush, glides on smoothly.
- Pencil liners are our go-to for both clean wings and smoky looks. While they’re not going to give you as precise of a look as liquid formulas, they are the best for smudging. Pencils are more waxy and creamy than liquid and gel, so you can use a smudge tip or your finger to blur the formula for that perfect smoky eye. A pencil formula is a little easier to work with than liquid, but once that waterproof formula is set in place, it won’t move, even if you’ve smudged it out.
- Gel liners are closer to liquids than pencils, but are a little simpler to work with than liquid. Gel formulas are extremely smooth and buttery, and are typically applied with a brush. It’s ideal for regular defined wings, as well as more complicated looks like a Halloween look that requires plenty of detail.
Look out for different design elements in your liners, as some brands go beyond the average liquid pen or metallic pencil eyeliner.
Some pencils come with their own built-in sharpener for quick and hassle-free sharpening on-the-go, like Revlon’s ColorStay pencil and Estee Lauder Double Wear Infinite. Others come with smudge tips as well, so you don’t have to carry around a separate smudger, Q-tip or use your fingers.
If you’re not a fan of sharpening, choose a liner with a twist or retractable design like the Smudge Stick from stila. Liquids don’t always come in a pen, and come in pots like the L’Oreal Telescopic Precision or Maybelline Ultra Liner.
Our Final Thoughts
At the end of the day (literally and figuratively) no one wants a runny mess on their face caused by an eyeliner that didn’t stay put. We’re all about making life easier for ourselves, and not having to worry about a smudge, crease or crack in our liner throughout the day is something we can’t go without. After all, you never know when you’ll be caught in the rain, have a cry, sweat, or be exposed to some harsh humidity. A waterproof eyeliner will give you the look you want, with the security of a smudge-free, run-free look to match. Just remember that waterproof formulas are designed to stay all day (some even 24 hours) so you’ll also need a waterproof makeup remover that’s going to work well at removing the liner without tugging at your eyelids.